Business Development Boot Camp (Online)
February 10, 12, 13, 2020
This live, online Boot Camp combines Shipley’s 3 core, online courses into one week: Capturing New Business, Managing Strategic Proposals, and POWeRful Proposal Writing.
Participants are introduced to a case study that is the basis for teaching and learning. Using the ShipleyOnline learning management system (LMS), participants submit their work for instructor feedback, including a final draft section of a proposal.
A certificate is issued upon successful completion of all 3 courses, which requires attendance at the live sessions, submission of written assignments, and passing a final course exam.
See below for a description of each course.
Capturing New Business
Learn a proven process for capturing strategic business opportunities in any industry. Participants learn high impact skills for qualifying opportunities and strategically positioning their organizations for successful bids. Work on a case study during 1-hour breaks and practice applying tools and techniques.
Course content includes:
- Recognizing the customer buying process
- Understanding the roles and responsibilities of capture planning
- Using Pwin (the probability of a win) to evaluate factors leading to a bid/no-bid decision
- Selecting and qualifying business opportunities of interest, based on rational criteria
- Employing competitive intelligence in capture planning
- Analyzing competitors’ positions from the customer’s perspective
- Refining the capture strategy–discriminators, theme statements, value proposition
- Creating action plans to implement strategy
Managing Strategic Proposals
This interactive course builds the proposal management skill set through lecture, discussion, and exercises using a case study. It begins with all necessary steps for planning and effectively managing development of a compliant and compelling sales document. You will learn to:
- Understand the roles, responsibilities, and key competencies of a proposal manager
- Convert action-based sales strategies into proposal strategies or win themes based on customer hot buttons
- Develop a comprehensive compliance checklist
- Create a compliant and detailed proposal outline
- Make assignments to appropriate contributors to the proposal
- Prepare for and conduct an effective kickoff meeting, including providing clear instructions to authors and contributors
- Lead proposal teams in regular and ad hoc status meetings
- Prepare for and conduct effective proposal reviews and action plans
- Support interactions with your customer after proposal submittal
POWeRful Proposal Writing
This section of the Boot Camp teaches successful proposal writing tips for any industry and focuses on the POWeR process.
Learn the importance of planning your proposal or proposal section by gathering critical information about the opportunity. Start identifying your solution benefits and discriminators early in the proposal planning process. As information is gathered, organize based on the customer’s preferences to strengthen your probability of winning.
Participants learn the characteristics of customer focused writing–writing that supports the sales message and helps evaluators score the proposal. Theme statements, headings, lists, graphics, and other topics are explored as part of the overall process for writing compelling content.
Participants learn the basics of participating in proposal review sessions to revise and strengthen the proposal. They are taught to revise in three stages to ensure compliance and customer focus.
Learn to use a mock-up template that provides a structure for the page layout, design, and production. A review of key learning points is presented and discusses with a final exercise to draft a section of the case study opportunity.
Who Should Attend
- Anyone who contributes to a proposal
- Shipley Capture Guide--Digital
- Shipley Proposal Guide--Digital
- Tools and Templates
"I want to pass on to you how impressed I've been with the performance of [Shipley]. You have done a great job supporting us in our journey to transform [our] business development and proposal process. This is a difficult undertaking in any company, but the complexity increases tremendously when it involves a U.S. subsidiary of a global company. Despite the challenges, Shipley excelled!"
Business Development Executive
"Our team was awarded a major contract as a result of the support Shipley gave us. Not only was our submission far superior to the competition, but also our pricing was exactly on target. Thank you for helping us stay in business for another five years and ensuring our win!"
Capture Manager, Large IT Services Firm
"Your consultant's incredible organizational skills and focus on strategies and cost/pricing issues kept our team focused and motivated. I believe we have a very credible and compliant proposal. I highly recommend that other ITT proposal teams use Shipley's support in the future."
Program Manager, ITT Aerospace