Helping a Global IT company to cement its strategic position in the UK National Health Service
BT Health is a significant supplier of IT solutions to the NHS, so its range of services and investment in R&D should have made it the natural choice of partner for NHS Greater Manchester (NHS GM).
NHS GM was seeking to change the way that it delivered IT services to improve the quality of care in the community, while reducing costs. In addition, NHS GM wanted to introduce a flexibility that would absorb future changes in technology and government policy more efficiently than before. However:
- BT Health was perceived by NHS GM to be expensive, unresponsive, and not customer-focused
- Unexpected recent losses in similar competitions were eroding BT Health’s strategic position in the region
- These setbacks made BT question its approach, and they called in Shipley UK some two weeks before bid submission
In conjunction with Thread-Group, Shipley provided an expert consultant to work with the BT Health team to organize the response and optimize their strategy, approach, and responses to the technical and commercial queries. A major requirement change by NHS GM led to the need to produce two different strategies and complete bids from two different divisions of BT Health at the same time.
The Shipley input included the following:
- Management of the generation of the two strategies and responses
- Introduction of industry benchmark bid processes and management techniques
- Identification and development of compelling customer-focused win themes
- Delivery of a clear document structure, graphic designs, and effective writing
- Effective editing of the bid material to ensure clarity, accuracy and legibility, and full compliance with the customer’s requirements
- Development of specialist management plans and clear identification of risk
As a result of this:
NHS GM’s previously negative perception of the organisation was dramatically improved and BT Health went on to win the bid.
“Working with Shipley helped us present our offer in a way that changed our customer’s perception of us from one of a supplier to a potential partner.”
-Paul Bean, Senior Consultant BT Health