Energy Services Company Streamlined Proposal Process to Be More Competitive
Summary of Results
Overall capture and bid costs reduced by 37% during the first year of implementation. The client also experienced:
• Lower cost per page on proposals
• 80% confidence level in sales pipeline accuracy
• Increased win rate after six months of implementation
• Established, consistent, and cost-effective model for re-capturing market share and increasing sales
A global Energy Services firm had gone through several acquisitions and mergers to strengthen its strategy to be a comprehensive solution in the energy efficiency market. New government regulations were also impacting the way they pursued business in such competitive markets.
Because of the changing regulations demanding increase energy efficiency and the recent mergers/acquisitions, the client’s business development practices and procedures were not aligned or unified. Various divisions and stakeholders had their unique way of performing capture and proposal activity.
This Energy Services client was experiencing:
- Redundancies in workflow and personnel
- Confusion about pursuit and bid decision authority
- Dysfunction at the proposal planning and management level
- Inconsistency in the quality of proposals being submitted
- Lost business that they expected to win
This client approached Shipley to help establish a unified and streamlined capture and proposal process with common tools, templates, and decision gates.
Shipley assigned a small team to help this client accomplish their business objectives. The project team:
- Interviewed key stakeholders to define the “as is” approach
- Surveyed employees at various levels of the business capture team
- Assessed and evaluated a cross-section of proposals and capture plans and scored them against best practices
- Presented findings and recommendations to key leadership
- Developed, tailored, and implemented the new process in key divisions
Launched the new process, tools, and methods across the organization by training all personnel